In Weight Loss Surgery Appropriate for You?
Weight loss surgery also called bariatric surgery is a safe and effective treatment option for persons who have struggled to lose weight and/or maintain it without medical assistance.
If you meet the following criteria, you may be eligible:
• You must be at least 18 years old.
• Have a BMI of 40 or higher, or
• Have a BMI of 35 or higher plus one or more obesity-related illnesses, such as diabetes or sleep apnea.
Advantages of Weight Loss Surgery
Although weight loss surgery is an efficient way to lose weight, it also has other advantages:
• Improving or treating several obesity-related diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, and joint discomfort
• Improving quality of life, including greater energy and mobility
• Improving your self-image, mood, and mental health
• Extending life expectancy by improving overall health
Obesity: An Overview
Obesity is a chronic and progressive disease that can damage a variety of body organs. It's like having an annoying small sister who begs you for food so they don't go hungry, but then eats everything without gaining any weight - until one day your sister has grown into such a large monster that she covers every piece of furniture! Obesity, like this whiny child, creeps up on us slowly, becoming larger with each passing year as its consequences spread throughout our lives.
Obesity develops when daily dietary adjustments are neglected or physical activity is reduced in order to battle excessive caloric intake, resulting in poor health and disabilities (among others).
Obesity also causes or aggravates a number of other conditions, including but not limited to:
- High cholesterol
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Degenerations of knees and hips
- Menstrual irregularities
- Gallbladder disease
Obese people have a medical risk of incapacity or death due to their condition. Adult-onset diabetes and high blood pressure are among the most serious side effects to be aware of (among others).
For some people, no amount of dieting, exercise, or lifestyle changes will make a substantial difference in their extreme obesity. Surgery is a solution. You've decided on weight loss surgery as an alternative for bettering your health and well-being. Take charge!
I. Different Types of Surgery